If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (817) 293-5553

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold vs. Mildew; What's the difference?

10/2/2018 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Mold vs. Mildew; What's the difference? If you notice mold in your home or business don't try to fix it yourself. Call a professional cleaner to make sure that it is done safely

Mildew and mold are both fungi, which are common in most homes. These types of fungi do well in environments that are moist and easily spread and thrive on numerous surfaces, thus making it difficult to get rid of them. However, if mildew and mold are left unattended, they can adversely affect large portions of a property. In fact, they might even result in structural damage and health problems.

Both are keen on warm areas where they might sprout their homes, from food to your shower to a sheet of paper. And, of course, no homeowner likes to see them in his or her home.

But mold and mildew also have striking differences when it comes to size, color and texture.

Mildew is a surface fungi that can easily be identified as a patch of gray or even white fungus that is lying on the surface of a moist area. Mildew is easily treated with a store bought cleaner and a scrubbing brush.

Mold, on the other hand, can be black or green and is often the result of a much larger infestation. This type of fungus can appear almost "fuzzy" — especially when it is found on food — or even slimy in nature.

The following are the different effects that can be caused by mildew and mold if left unchecked:

Mildew Effects

Mildew affects crops and plants. However, it can result in health risks if it happens to develop indoors. The spores of mildew cause respiratory problems, sore throat, headache, and coughing.

Mold Effects

This has the potential of causing major structural damage over long periods. Different mold strains cause various health problems. Some common effects on health are extreme fatigue, depression, dizziness, pain and inflammation in joints, migraines, heart problems and respiratory problems. Respiratory problems may include nasal congestion, throat and eye irritation, skin irritations, sneezing etc.

Understanding Mold

Some restoration companies advertise “mold removal” and may even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy because removing all mold from a house or business is impossible; microscopic mold spores exist almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Here are the facts:

  • Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
  • Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
  • Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
  • Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
  • Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
  • Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.

If You See Signs of Mold,
Call Us Today –(817) 293-5553

Follow us:

FacebookTwitterInstagram

Other News

View Recent Posts