Causes of Residential Fire Damage
What Causes Residential Fire Damage?
When it comes to disasters, one could argue that none are worse than a residential fire. Not only do the flames cause inherent danger as they destroy your family’s home and or business but there is also the after effect concerning the removal of debris, soot, smell of smoke, compromised structure and additional damages that have been inflicted on your home, business or possessions. For most homeowners, a fire is an unimaginable event. However, they DO happen and for a variety of reasons. With this in mind, We've listed the top 10 causes of fire below:
1. Home heat fires: Your furnace needs regular inspection(s) and make sure combustibles are not near any portable heaters.
2. Cooking fires: Unattended kitchens, splattering grease, and combustibles near the source of heat are very common fire starters.
3. Smoking: Always ensure that you properly and completely extinguish the cigarette if you smoke in your home.
4. Electrical fires: Look out for frayed cords, overloaded plug outlets and the overuse of extension cords.
5. Children: Keep lighters and matches away from children to stifle any curiosity they could have about what happens when various items catch fire.
6. Candles: Candles may smell nice but if left unattended, they could cause a major issue.
7. Flammable items: Do not keep adhesives, paint or cleaning agents close to sources of heat.
8. Faulty wiring: A significant safety hazard is inadequate wiring ( MOSTLY prevalent in older apartments and homes).
9. Grills: Never cook on the grill under an awning or on a covered porch. Give yourself ample space away from your home and automobiles.
10. Holiday décor: Be mindful of how close your Christmas tree is to your fireplace and always make sure that you are hanging other décor safely.
We hope this short list has informed on some of the causes of household fires and ask that you will adhere to the instructions... However, should you or someone you know, ever need our services... Call us (SERVPRO East Ft. Woth) immediately!We will arrive at your home quickly to mitigate the damages, secure your property and start the emergency cleaning process to items that are of priority. While we are on the site, your property will be inspected, assessments of damage(s) will be documented, and preliminary estimates made to give you a comprehensive restoration plan of action.
Call SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth with any questions or to schedule services: