Get Winter Ready!
Get Winter Ready!
Cold weather can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not properly prepared. Whether it is heavy rain, freezing temperatures, damaging winds, sleet or snow, all have the potential of causing serious and costly property damage(s). While you cannot control the weather, you can take steps to be prepared and help take the sting out of winter weather.
To help prevent costly damages due to weather, consider taking the following precautions to protect your property before colder weather hits!
- Examine your property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice, and snow can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries as well.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper working order. Gutter downspouts should be directed away from your home or building. Clear gutters of all debris that may have gathered during the fall. Leaves and other obstructions can lead to an unwanted effect, that can lead to roof damage and interior water problems.
- Inspect property, walkways, and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells, and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under a cabinet, leave the cabinet doors open allowing warm inside air to circulate around the pipes. If the building has outdoor faucets, consider shutting water off at the main valve in the basement or crawl space. Once the valve is off, open the outdoor faucet to ensure it drains properly, preventing any remaining water from freezing in the pipe.
- Call & request the services of SERVPRO East Ft. Worth... We'll schedule & complete an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) for your home or business. The ERP is a no cost assessment to your property and provides you with a precise plan to get you back in business quickly following a disaster.
When winter weather strikes...call the professionals at SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth (24/7-365)... We've got your back!
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP)
Plan for the worst...with the best!
“Ready for Whatever Happens”
The Best Way to Reduce Business Interruption Following a Disaster is to Plan for it NOW.
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are “Ready for whatever happens,” speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile® for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
The SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile® Advantage
A no cost assessment of your facility.
-This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
-It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But will save a lot of time if ever needed.
A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
-This can help minimize the amount of time your business in active by having an immediate plan of action.
Establish the professionals at SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider!
-You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and is close by.
Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
-This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
-Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
Call our office today to schedule your FREE 15 minute appointment! SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth (817) 293-5553
Signs of MOLD in your Ft. Worth home?!
Easily detected signs of MOLD...
A multitude of different types of mold spore varieties exist in today's world. Mold can be found in many homes & businesses as well, potentially causing or are the root cause of heightened allergies and other related ill health effects.
Mold needs a special environment to grow & thrive. It needs a food source, such as drywall and it needs a water source, such as water leak of sorts. If you have concerns of potential mold in your Fort Worth home or place of business, you may want to ask yourself the following questions.
Do you notice water damage?
Mold is created by moisture; without moisture mold couldn't survive. Mold spores float in the air and if they land on a wet surface it can grow & may spread rapidly. If you see a water spot on the ceiling, wall or floor...there lies the potential for mold growth. Water damage(s) can cause the paint to peel and also cause staining to the ceilings surface.
Is there a musky odor?
Does your home smell like a basement or musky? Even if you don’t see any signs of mold if you smell it then it’s worth investigating further.
Do you have any known leaks?
Mold likes wet surfaces and needs the moisture to grow. It's very important to know if you have any existing leaks in pipes or faucets. In addition, it's a good practice & smart idea to check under your kitchen & bathroom sinks periodically for potential leaks.
Has Flooding occurred?
If previous flooding has occurred, there's potential for mold spores to be present as well.
If the answer is "yes" to any of the above questions, further steps will need to be taken by a certified mold expert, or remediation company. Allow SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth to assist you as we are a certified Mold Remediation company & we'd be honored to provide you with a precise & honest assessment of any potential mold issues.
Contact us immediately, with any questions!
SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth
Floods Are Never A Good Thing!
Floods Are Never A Good Thing!
Whether you live on the coast, near a lake, or riverside, the flood will find you. And when it does, it can leave you with years worth of damage, not to mention credit card dept, and the possibility of bankruptcy!
There's a long list of news stories regarding commercial and residential properties with substantial damage(s) due to murky waters and have remained unattended to and ultimately abandoned...reeking with remnants of saturated insulation, destroyed interiors, and mold growth beyond belief.
For that reason, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has published a guide stating which materials are best used in certain situations.
It’s interesting because even safe materials, when combined with unsafe products such as adhesives, become undesirable. For instance, vinyl tile is an acceptable surface but if it’s applied over plywood it becomes unacceptable because there’s no way for the plywood to dry after a flood. Even oil-based paint can inhibit drying of a wooden wall.
That’s when you call the professionals at SERVPRO East Ft. Worth, to make sure the situation is handled so there are no surprises and no adverse effects on the occupants health or safety.
SERVPRO Cleans Up the Mess after a Flood!
FEMA says the following are not permitted in flood-prone areas:
· Normal adhesives which are water soluble or not resistant to alkali or acid in water
· Materials containing wood or paper products, or other materials that lose structural integrity when exposed to water
· Sheet-type floor or wall coverings (linoleum, rubber tile, wallpaper) that inhibit drying of the materials they cover
· Materials that are unstable-for instance, a door jamb that swells and does not return to its original size
· Materials that retain excessive water after they’ve been submerged.
We have so much more to lose…
Homeowners tell us there is no greater devastation than seeing the house they’ve made a home destroyed by a quick-moving flood. The fact that the flood could have been caused by something as innocuous as a leaking pipe behind the washing machine makes the destruction seem even more senseless.
FEMA’s classification was based on the fact that a home constructed with the vulnerable materials may harbor mold, other fungi or allergens; that materials may absorb chemicals and continue to exude them even after the house has been thoroughly dried. In addition, water renders some materials more susceptible to rot. These are just a few of the many aftereffects of a flood.
SERVPRO East Ft. Worth is here to assist
The SERVPRO East Ft. Worth team has been professionally trained and will respond quickly! There’s a reason why FEMA and the EPA recommends consulting with professionals in the wake of water damage.
Let's face it... Our home is our castle. It reflects our lives, interests, loves, travels, hopes, memories and the most important people we share it with.
Let’s hope you are not the victim of a home-destroying event. However, in the event that you are...don’t panic. Call us (SERVPRO East Ft. Worth) immediately (817) 293-5553 and allow us to help! We’re here 24/7 to answer the call and make your loss "Like it never even happened."
Texas Fire Damage Facts
Dealing with Texas fire damage can be one of the most difficult experiences a homeowner encounters.
In 2014, fires caused 2745 deaths, 11,825 injuries, and $6.8 Billion in property damage.
Three out of five home fire deaths are caused by fires in homes with no smoke alarms or not working alarms.
Working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in reported home fires in half.
In fires considered large enough to activate the smoke alarm, hardwired alarms operated 94 percent of the time, while battery powered alarms operated 80 percent of the time.
When smoke alarms fail to operate, it is usually because batteries are missing, disconnected, or dead.
One quarter of home fire deaths are caused by fires that start in the bedroom. Another quarter result from fires in the living room, family room or den.
One-third of survey respondents who made an estimate thought they would have at least 6 minutes before a fire in their home would become life-threatening. The time available is often much less. Only 8% reported that their first thought on hearing a smoke alarm would be to get out...
Facts provided by National Fire Protection Association
WHAT TO DO UNTIL HELP ARRIVES
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas
- If electricity is off, empty freezer/refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome kitchen/bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO® Franchise Professional.
- Don’t attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO® Franchise Professional.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water, as they may be contaminated.
- If ceiling is wet, do not turn on ceiling fans. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Don’t send garments to the dry cleaner... Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
Please, contact us (SERVPRO East Ft. Worth) with additional questions or to schedule services.
Causes of Residential Fire Damage
When it comes to disasters, there is probably none worse than a property fire damage.
What Causes Residential Fire Damage?
When it comes to disasters, one could argue that none are worse than a residential fire. Not only do the flames cause inherent danger as they destroy your family’s home and or business but there is also the after effect concerning the removal of debris, soot, smell of smoke, compromised structure and additional damages that have been inflicted on your home, business or possessions. For most homeowners, a fire is an unimaginable event. However, they DO happen and for a variety of reasons. With this in mind, We've listed the top 10 causes of fire below:
1. Home heat fires: Your furnace needs regular inspection(s) and make sure combustibles are not near any portable heaters.
2. Cooking fires: Unattended kitchens, splattering grease, and combustibles near the source of heat are very common fire starters.
3. Smoking: Always ensure that you properly and completely extinguish the cigarette if you smoke in your home.
4. Electrical fires: Look out for frayed cords, overloaded plug outlets and the overuse of extension cords.
5. Children: Keep lighters and matches away from children to stifle any curiosity they could have about what happens when various items catch fire.
6. Candles: Candles may smell nice but if left unattended, they could cause a major issue.
7. Flammable items: Do not keep adhesives, paint or cleaning agents close to sources of heat.
8. Faulty wiring: A significant safety hazard is inadequate wiring ( MOSTLY prevalent in older apartments and homes).
9. Grills: Never cook on the grill under an awning or on a covered porch. Give yourself ample space away from your home and automobiles.
10. Holiday décor: Be mindful of how close your Christmas tree is to your fireplace and always make sure that you are hanging other décor safely.
We hope this short list has informed on some of the causes of household fires and ask that you will adhere to the instructions... However, should you or someone you know, ever need our services... Call us (SERVPRO East Ft. Woth) immediately!We will arrive at your home quickly to mitigate the damages, secure your property and start the emergency cleaning process to items that are of priority. While we are on the site, your property will be inspected, assessments of damage(s) will be documented, and preliminary estimates made to give you a comprehensive restoration plan of action.
Call SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth with any questions or to schedule services:
Vent Cleaning Is Wise Maintenance for Fire Damage Protection
SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth, protects your Texas home from fire damage with dryer vent cleaning!
SERVPRO Helps Prevent Fire in Your Texas Home with Dryer Vent Cleaning
House fires affect millions of people every year at the cost of over $500 Million. Smoke detectors have proved their value every year, saving lives and homes from total loss. Most house fires start in the kitchen but a significant number still occur in a place most forget about once the item is installed, the dryer vent.
A dryer vent cleaning cost may seem like an avoidable charge, but it is needed to prevent fire in your Texas home. There are over 15,000 dryer fires each year and the accumulated property damage cost exceeds $70 million annually. We have the personnel and equipment needed to keep you from adding to those numbers in the coming year. This vent cleaning service may also reduce the workload of your clothes dryer while lowering energy usage!
A dryer inside the house or apartment uses a metal exhaust pipe (galvanized iron or steel usually) to vent hot air to the outside of the home. The zinc-coated material is designed to handle the highest dryer settings and more but not open flames from burning built-up lint. Since this is an exhaust pipe and smoke seeks the easiest access, a vent fire goes undetected by the smoke detectors much longer than a fire anywhere else in the house.
If your dryer is in the garage or under a carport, the chance for a major fire is reduced but not eliminated. The flexible vent tube may not run under the house but it is still at risk. The build-up of lint can still ignite, destroying your dryer and the washer next to it. As the flexible, plastic pipe melts, the burning material quickly ignites drywall and other building materials.
Our technicians can eliminate this threat with an inspection. We can attach an air mover which introduces high-velocity air flow into your vent for just a few minutes. If the build-up has caked against the sides of the pipe, we'll then use a brush with a telescoping handle to scrape the sides and then re-attach the air mover to blow the lint outside your home. For a flexible conduit, we detach it from the dryer and clean it outside using either an air mover or garden hose to wash it out.
The cost for vent cleaning is minor compared to the possible cost(s) to restore your home fire damaged home... If you're in need our services or would like an inspection, contact SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth immediately!
Does Your East Ft. Worth (DFW) Home Have A Mold Problem?
In the East Ft. Worth (DFW) area, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours!
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth (817) 293-5553
Everman, Tarrant County, DFW- Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth (817) 293-5553
Faster to your Everman (DFW) Water Damage!
SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth provides emergency 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in DFW and surrounding areas!
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage, cleaning duration and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth
SERVPRO of East Ft. Worth specializes in the clean-up and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.